CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Book 2: New Moon

So I finished all 500+ pages of New Moon yesterday... It was great.

The story just keeps evolving and growing. It's heartbreaking and intriguing. I just am totally in love with the characters and progression. Even if I wanted to stop I couldn't now, I'm in too deep.

I wanted to address something that has been boggling my mind for a while now... as a teacher I like to know what other kids are reading... in every class I enter I usually ask what their into now. Last week I was in a grade 4 class where a little girl was reading twilight. I thought about it for a bit and I realized, hey that's probably ok. There's nothing any scarier than a Goosebumps plot in the book and the sex is non-existent. There's a few passionate kisses but they're sweetly implied and not in your face scenes. I think Harry Potter is more explicit!!

But, I'm still not sure the mind of a 10-year-old can fully understand and appreciate the storyline that the Twilight saga entails. But then I think they get what they want out of the book... it's a great read and when they read it again next year (because this is a book you'll want to read again and again) they'll get more and more out of it as they mature.

I think this is a series you can share with your Tween. To read them together would be extra special.

I've gone ahead and ordered the last two books in the saga and am waiting for them to arrive from Chapters. I have a discount card from there so it's great. I really didn't want to wait for them to come in the mail but Wal-Mart didn't have any copies and neither did the second hand bookstore, that's the only options in this small town.

So my next piece of advice... go get yourself into the Twilight books... New Moon was awesome. Werewolves and Vampires are such a great mix, I can't wait to read the third and fourth books. So the waiting on Canada Post game starts now... I've already got the shipping confirmation.


I also had the pleasure of reading the Midnight Sun manuscript from Stephenie Meyer's website.

There's almost 300 pages of the Twilight book from Edward's perspective. It was leaked onto the internet in 2008 and Stephenie didn't finish writing the book. She has posted the first 11 chapters which are phenomenal. I hope that she someday finds the inspiration to finish the book as I very much enjoyed the first 11 chapters. Also this is a great way for you to get into the Twilight books before buying them. If you read that much and are intrigued then you know you'll love the others too.

I've added this as a finish for 2010 as it was beyond 250 pages so it clearly is a novella in it's own right.

I don't know what I'm going to do until the other books get here! I may just skim through the first two again and re-read the middle sections to make sure I haven't missed anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails